So my VCSA is now up and running, I just need to go into vCenter and do some config
- Create Datacenter, add Hosts etc..
First thing to do is log in using URL structure: https://<IP of vcsa>//vsphere-client/?csp
NOTE: If you just go to the IP of your vCenter it will give you options to use either HTML5 or Flash
I selected the Flash client which uses the URL above
I have pulled down the latest ISO for ESXi 6.5 – I want to have 2 x ESXi Servers, so I will document the process once and then repeat.
Select File, New Virtual Machine and select Custom
Hit Next and then Next again at the Choose the Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility screen
Browse to your VMvisor ISO and select Next
Ensure SSH / Port 22 is open and the Services are started as per previous post Enabling SSH
Download the relevant VIB File from the Flings Website here:
Open up your SFTP / FTP Application; In my lab I am using WinSCP
Copy the VIB to a Datastore on the ESXi Server
PuTTy onto the host and run:
esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/[DATASTORE]/esx-tools-for-esxi-9.7.1-0.0.00000.i386.vib -f
After a short while you should receive the following Successful message:
Summary – From the Official FLINGs Website: https://labs.vmware.com/flings
Note: See Instructions tab for downloads.
This VIB package provides a VMware Tools service (vmtoolsd) for running inside a nested ESXi virtual machine. The following capabilities are exposed through VMware Tools:
- Provides guest OS information of the nested ESXi Hypervisor (eg. IP address, configured hostname, etc.).
- Allows the nested ESXi VM to be cleanly shut down or restarted when performing power operations with the vSphere Web/C# Client or vSphere APIs.
- Executes scripts that help automate ESXi guest OS operations when the guest’s power state changes.
- Supports the Guest Operations API (formally known as the VIX API).