I recently only had SSH Access into an Environment which had a Web Based GUI I needed to access. I used SOCKS as a Proxy (Built into OpenSSH) to access the UI by performing the following on my Mac:
As I had SSH Access i used the following command
- ssh -D 443 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensure SSH / Port 22 is open and the Services are started as per previous post Enabling SSH
Download the relevant VIB File from the Flings Website here:
Open up your SFTP / FTP Application; In my lab I am using WinSCP
Copy the VIB to a Datastore on the ESXi Server
PuTTy onto the host and run:
esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/[DATASTORE]/esx-tools-for-esxi-9.7.1-0.0.00000.i386.vib -f
After a short while you should receive the following Successful message:
Summary – From the Official FLINGs Website: https://labs.vmware.com/flings
Note: See Instructions tab for downloads.
This VIB package provides a VMware Tools service (vmtoolsd) for running inside a nested ESXi virtual machine. The following capabilities are exposed through VMware Tools:
- Provides guest OS information of the nested ESXi Hypervisor (eg. IP address, configured hostname, etc.).
- Allows the nested ESXi VM to be cleanly shut down or restarted when performing power operations with the vSphere Web/C# Client or vSphere APIs.
- Executes scripts that help automate ESXi guest OS operations when the guest’s power state changes.
- Supports the Guest Operations API (formally known as the VIX API).
Quick guide to enabling SSH on an ESXi Server
Navigate to the ESXi Server in vCenter and select the Configuration Tab and then Security Profile
Navigate to the Firewall Section and select Properties…